Monday 25 April 2011

Internet Resources

This post will discuss some of the Internet resources I have used so far and I will share some of the questions that I wrote to the huts (and their corresponding answers).

Once I zeroed in Stubai Hightrail as the place for our next trek I began to comb Google for resources about the trail to begin my planning. I quickly found two excellent websites.

The first is Stubai.at, a site I believe is run by the Stubai and/or Tyrol tourism board(s). It has excellent info about the valley and great downloads, including the below posted summer 3d drawing of the valley. It has an English section and a good hotel listing. The site does have info about the high trail (including a listing of the huts and descriptions of the walks between them) but will direct you to the next website for detailed info.

The second and best resource I have found so far has been http://www.stubaier-hoehenweg.at/ The website is German only but it is manageable with a slight understanding and looking at the words in the context of a trekking page. If you wish to translate it to English follow this link to a Google Translate version of the page in English. Stubaier-Hohenweg.at has excellent info about the trail itself, access, what to bring, when to go and the huts themselves. This pdf file is the single most valuable tooI I have found and I have been told the walking times on it are realistic. The trail overlaid on a photo of the valley really helps to visualize the topography between huts.

I then made a list of questions to ask the huts themselves. I have listed those below along with the paraphrased answers in italics.

Q) If I want to avoid snow (to the point that passage is difficult or dangerous) can I come in both July and August or should I wait until September?.

A) Snow should be discussed in two categories: snow fall during your hike and accumulated or winter snow that has yet to melt. The first can occur at any time of year in the mountains. The second is the one to be concerned about. Winter snow is almost all gone by mid July and even more so by the start of August. Based on answers these comments seem to also hold true for two of the higher peaks (that I might try to bag), the Habicht and Gamsspitzl. Interesting Note: the highest pass, the 2902m Grosser Trogler, is clear almost all summer as it is exposed to a lot of sun.

Q) How are the crowds in July and August? Is one moth busier than another? Are there any local festivals or events that would make a certain week a good (or bad) time to plan a trek.

A) The huts are busiest from mid July until the beginning of September. None of the huts suggested any local festivals or events to help make a week selection.

Q) I am planning to hike between Dresdner Hütte and Innsbruck Hütte. Is there a better direction to hike.

A) None of the huts suggested that one way or the other was more enjoyable. It was however noted that it would be easier to hike from Dresdner Hütte and Innsbrucker Hütte for two reasons. 1) the longest single leg in the Höhenweg is between Innsbrucker Hütte and Bremer Hütte. If starting from Innsbrucker Hütte this will be tackled on the second day. 2) Should you wish for a gentle start, and wish to avoid a day of total ascending, starting at Dresdner Hütte offers a cable car ride up from Mutterbergalm.

In the next post I will discuss a planning tool that is dear to my heart – the map.

No comments:

Post a Comment